our history

nuestro historia

Eastern Avenue CRC is a church that had its roots in the Spring Street True Dutch Reformed Church (1st CRC), and was started as a mission venture for that church.  They started meeting in a building on East Street, and on September 15, 1879 the new congregation began with about 80 families. The East Street True Holland Reformed Church drew most of its members from the Dutch province of Groningen.  Most of the congregation lived within a few blocks of the church, where they settled after immigrating.

The building that the church started in was located on East Street between Bemis and Logan with a parsonage next to it. By 1883 the building had doubled in size and by 1887 plans were underway to build a larger building shaped in a Latin Cross (T-shaped). The 1883 structure was turned 90 degrees and the western part of the church was added. The church remained the same until 1916 when it was bricked over and the single stairway and tower were replaced with two shorter towers, a double entryway, and the rose window. Over the years there have been changes in the interior, but the latest changes to the exterior took place in 2000/2001 when the fellowship room/classrooms were added to the north side of church.  Then in 2013 the sanctuary went through an extensive renovation.

 

The congregation remained a parish church until the 1950’s when the neighborhood changed and so did the congregation. People started to move further away from church, and by the 1960’s most people drove to church instead of walking.  In 1962 the congregation, led by Dr. Mel Hugen, made a decision to stay on Eastern Avenue and work in the community.  That decision helped the congregation adjust its focus to work more closely with the people who lived around Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church.  A number of programs came from this such as Block Captains, Baxter Community Center, Project Conserve (ICCF), the Saturday Food Program, and the tutoring program.   The Evangelism and Social Concerns committees also helped the congregation find ways to work with the people around church.  The latest development is the second   service which helps address the needs of the Hispanic community around the church.

Eastern Avenue CRC es una iglesia que tiene sus raíces en Spring Street True Dutch Reformed Church (la 1era iglesia Cristiana Reformada), y comenzó como una misión de esta iglesia. Se comenzaron reuniendo en un edificio en la Calle Street, y un 15 de Septiembre de 1879 la nueva congregación empezó con alrededor de 80 familias. La iglesia Reformada East Street True Holland trajo muchos de sus miembros de la provincia Dutch en Groningen. Muchos de la congregación vivían a pocas cuadras de la iglesia, en donde se establecieron después de inmigrar.

El edificio en donde la iglesia empezó estaba ubicado en East Street en medio de Bemis y Logan con una casa parroquial al lado. Alrededor de 1883, el edificio creció doble en su tamaño y en 1887 comenzaron los planos para construir un edificio más grande con la figura de la Cruz Latin (en forma de T). La estructura de 1883 dio un giro de 90 grados y la parte oeste de la iglesia fue agregada. La iglesia permaneció así hasta 1916 cuando fue remodelada y la única escalera y torre fueron reemplazadas con dos pequeñas torres, doble entrada y una ventana en forma de rosa. Los años han pasado y ha habido muchos cambios en el interior, pero los últimos cambios del exterior de la iglesia sucedieron en 2000/2001 cuando las habitaciones de compañerismo se agregaron en el lado norte de la iglesia. Finalmente en el 2013 el santuario tuvo una renovación extensa.

La congregación permaneció como una parroquia hasta 1950, después de esto el vecindario cambio y asimismo la congregación. Las personas empezaron a mudarse más lejos de la iglesia, y alrededor de 1960 muchas personas llegaban manejando en vez de caminando. En 1962 la congregación, dirigida por Dr. Mel Hugen, tomó la decisión de quedarse en la Avenida Eastern y trabajar en la comunidad. Esta decisión ayudó a la congregación a mantener su enfoque en trabajar más cerca con las personas que vivían en los alrededores de Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church. Se iniciaron muchos programas tales como Capitanes de la Cuadra, Centro de Comunidad Baxter, Proyecto Conservar (ICCF), Programa Sabatino de alimentos y el programa de Tutoría. Los comités de Evangelismo y Asuntos Sociales ayudaron a la congregación a encontrar maneras de trabajar con las personas alrededor de la iglesia. El último avance ha sido el segundo servicio que ayuda a las necesidades de la comunidad Hispana alrededor de la iglesia.

can't find what you're looking for?

¿No encuentras lo que buscas?

 

join us sundays!

¡únete a nosotros los domingos!

 

9:30 AM - WORSHIP IN ENGLISH

ADORACIÓN EN INGLÉS

11:00 AM - WORSHIP IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH 

ADORACIÓN EN INGLÉS Y ESPAÑOL

log in

iniciar

sesión
 

CONNECT WITH US!

¡Conectate con nosotros!

9 AM - 3 PM, MON - THURS

616.454.4888

EACRC@EACRC.ORG

 

514 EASTERN AVE SE

GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49503

 

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!

¡SÍGUENOS EN FACEBOOK!

  • Grey Facebook Icon